[Groop] My day at San Diego Comicon

Richard Gutierrez rgg2112 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 19 08:40:10 PDT 2005

Hi,

I usually don't post to the Groop, but since since a few people out there want to here from other
Groopers that attended, I'll give a summary of my day Saturday.  I planned on attending the Groo
panel Thursday, but work obligations put a wrench into that!
They opened the show a half hour early; I made a bee line to Sergio's table where Gary was helping
him set up his books.  I greeted Mr Aragones and Gary while they were setting up.  I talked to
Gary about what happened at the Groo Panel in detail and got my Groop card from him. (Thanks
Gary!). I made my way around the convention; it took me three hours to walk the floor before the
Quick Draw Panel at 1 pm. (All 40+ aisles!)  It didn't help that I only got three hours sleep the
night before.
During those three hours, I stopped by and visited Sonambulo creator Rafael Navarro (cool guy), El
Muerto creator Javier Hernandez, Stan Sakai (hands down, the nicest guy  you'll ever meet. )He
drew a great Usagi sketch inside my Art of Usagi hardcover.  I talked to legendary horror artist
Bernie Wrightson for a couple of minutes and Joe Jusko (He's got a Tomb Raider one-shot that has
some truly excellent artwork coming up soon.)  I also chatted with actor Dean Haglund from the
Lone Gunmen TV show for a couple of minutes.
Before I knew it, it was time to get to the Quick Draw panel.  I noticed Gary and Eric Chun were
standing around the front of the hall so I walked over to greet them. Eric gave me a Groofest 2005
laminate (Thanks Eric). I greeted two memers of the Groop who names I can't remember at the time
of this writing (my apologies)and Larry.  My conversed with Larry about his new job with the
Yankees and the plans for the new stadium  Congratualations on the cool new job Larry.
The Quick Draw panel started and I thought Scott Shaw did a great job this year. Sergio drew some
extremely funny sketches with the Hulk as a nurse, and a sloth/rabbit combination.  The show
highlight was when Mark has Sergio draw Alfred E Neuman and has Sergio add dangerous people around
him until Sergio run out of room on the paper.  The Quick Draw is always a ton a fun and I
recommend it to anyone who plans on going to Comi-Con.
I subsequently attended The Devil's Rejects movie panel, which ran a little short. It looks like
it may be a violent, but very entertaining movie,  I stopped by the Gary Owens panel that was very
funny.  Mark Evanier put together a superb video montage of a lot of the projects Mr Owens has
worked on over the last 40 years. I attended the Jim Lee DC panel which he fielded questions
concerning the All Star Batman& Robin comic project that he's currently working on with Frank
Miller.
I took another quick walk around the floor and before I knew it, It was closing time.
One day at Comicon is very tiring.  I don't know how the you multi-day attendees do it.
I look forward to the new Groo projects and I hope to meet some more of you Groopers at next years
Groofest.

Over and out

Richard Gutierrez
Los Angeles, CA