[Groop] I Want to Read Con Reports!!

Josh 'Wet Exit' Jones josh at newdream.net
Tue Jul 19 11:15:12 PDT 2005

Okay okay!

Now that I live in LA, I figured I may as well drive on down to the SDCC
for at least the Groop dinner on Friday! And so I did, after getting a
walker cast in the morning on my left foot which I'd fractured back on
March 5th (I didn't want to get it checked out for fear I'd have a cast on
for my wedding.. good thing I didn't, I was right!).

On the way down we hit a lot of traffic around Carlsbad so we stopped at
In-N-Out and then got the car smog inspected so we could get the
registration switched from VA to CA on Saturday. We continued on down to
San Diego, drove around looking for parking, found some street parking a
few blocks away and finally entered the Con at about 3pm! It was tempting
to wait until 4 when they drop the price from $25/day/person to $10/day,
but since we only had about 4 hours left till everything closed anyway, we
just SPLURGED and went in.

It seems to have grown a bit in the 7 years since I last went! Or maybe I
just got smaller. Anyway, it was pretty cool, though a bit heavy on the
Star Wars stuff, and we found Stan's booth where I bought some signed back
issues. Then we went ALL the way across the exhibition hall to where
Sergio's booth was, but he was kind of busy autographing a zillion copies
of his artwork for the Ramones thing Gary mentioned.. so we went back out
to the car to feed the meter and drop off all the freebie junk.

Then we returned to Sergio's table, and Gary was there as well as Larry,
Steve, and some other Groopiers. So we hung out there and got the Crab
Shack thing kinda organized and I bought the Louder Than Words and Actions
Speak collections, and got sergio to doodle a Snoopy in Tweeny's and a
Spongebob in mine.

Then we went off to the Crab Shack and met up with Scott Hudlow and his
three pals including Dave who not only is VERY interested in the Groop,
but LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE MR. INCREDIBLE! I took a picture even:

http://www.zooscape.com/dataimg/zoo0051/0/big/510078_3.jpg

Ha, just kidding, that's not him.. but I did take some pictures and I'll
upload them somewhere soon and post the REAL url then!

Then we saw some of the Eisners, but took off after Stan didn't win
another award, since it was 9:30 and we had to drive back up to LA!

Next year I'll see the Quick Draw, I promise!

josh!