[Groop] Steve's Groo Fest 2005 Report

Steve Kuhn cankuhn at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 19 19:29:06 PDT 2005

Wednesday Night:
Walked through the whole convention floor to see what I had in store to look
at the next 3 days.  I stopped by my local comic book store’s booth to say
hey, then bought a bunch of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory trading cards,
  (Just saw Charlie at my local IMAX theater and it was spectacular) and
then went to my hotel to collapse.
Thursday:
Stopped by Sergio’s booth to get a few things signed and buy "Star Wars
Galactic Phrase Book and travel Guide" and "Zounds a Browser's Dicitionart
of Interjections"  They both had Sergio drawings through each book.  I also
bought "The Simpsons Cmic 100th issue".  They have Bart And Lisa going to a
comic book convention and they stop by Sergio's table, Sergio also has a two
page layout of a comic book convention.  I meet Shawn after she had Sergio
sign the Groo that had a letter that she had written.  She seemed very
excited for the Sergio and Mark Show.  I then went to the Ren and Stimpy
panel.  They showed some of the cartoons that haven’t appeared on TV, that’s
some weird gross stuff they have going on.  Then went to the Sergio and Mark
Show saw a bunch of the gang, got my Groo badge from Eric, thanks Eric, then
called it a day.
Friday:
Stood in line starting at 9:00 for Hall H to see Corpse Bride and some other
films.  Natalie Portman was there for Vendetta.  They then showed about 10
minutes of Corpse Bride, which by the way looked way cool.  That is the
first time I went to Hall H.  It’s huge and holds about 6,500 people.
Walked around the convention floor a while then went back to hall H to see
Disney Coming Attractions: Chicken Little, Sky High, and Pixar’s Toy Story
10th Anniversary and Cars, I then gathered all my goodie bags, dropped that
off at my hotel room and then meet the groo folks for dinner at the Crab
Shack.  When we were waiting for dinner Josh (the one who started this
Groop) had all the issues of groo on his computer and Gary and Larry read
there letters aloud that were published in Groo.  I was a very Groo moment.
Over dinner it was quite enjoyable hearing Gary tell his Groo tales from the
past to the person (forgot his name) who was not familiar with Groo (he does
look like Mr. Incredible)
Saturday:
Went to Cartoon voices and sat with Larry and enjoyed some pretty funny
stuff.  They did the voices from a Superman radio script which was quite
hilarious.  Then stayed for Quick draw and Gary and Katie joined me and
Larry.  Richard and Eric stopped by to say hi.  Those are the 2 funniest
panels of Groo Fest.  I then went to the Tower of Records booth to pre-order
the Ramones Box set so I could get the lithograph.  I got the William Stout
one of the cover of the comic book that is inserted in the box set., I hope
I’m not thrown out of the Groop for that.  I then went to the Simpsons
panel, which for the past few years has been at the same time as the Sergio
and Mark show, so I was very excited, but it did not live up to my
expectations mostly just questions and answers so that will probably be the
last Simpson panel I’ll go to.  I then went off to stand in the massive Hall
H line an hour early so I would make sure I could get in to see Tenacious D.
  The line was so long that it started to go across the Coronado Bridge, but
Larry saved the day by being in line right near the front (Larry is my
Hero!)  We made it in to hear the last part of the King Kong panel.  They
were having a question and answer with Adrian Brody, Naomi Watts, and Jack
Black.  Then came Tenacious D.  They were introduced by Kevin Smith.  They
were quite hilarious, not a show for the youngsters, but I so glad I saw
Larry so I could get in to see them.  And with that ended my Groo Fest 2005
experience.

If you would like to see some pictures that I took of Cartoon Voices and
Quick Draw click on the following link and then click on Groo Fest 2005,
The other pictures are of projects that I have my students build in
woodshop, feel free to look at those if you'd like.

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=4022319

Till next year I bid you all a fond farewell,
Steve