[Groop] Comic Con Report

Eric Chun ericchun at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 20 04:50:22 PDT 2005

Hi guys/grrls!

Actually, I don't have time to write a comic con report.
Just got back Monday night, and have to fly off again
this afternoon.

Thursday:
Made travel arrangements 6 months earlier.  Booked a
hotel on 5th Ave. in the Gaslamp Quarter to avoid
parking problems (wouldn't need a rental car) and
rushing to/from the con.  2 weeks before the con, the
hotel went out of business.  My hotel reservation got
moved to a hotel in Hotel Circle (now needed a rental
car).

The Groo panel happened to be on Thursday afternoon
at 3:30pm.  My flight was supposed to land at 1:10pm, so
there was enough time to make it to the Groo panel if
nothing went wrong ...

Something went wrong -- the San Diego Airport was fogged
in.  No planes were allowed in or out.  My plane wasn't even
allowed to take off until the fog restriction was lifted.  So,
my plane arrived late.  Unloading everyone's luggage was
also late.  All of the other rental car shuttles passed by.  The
one I reserved was last, and the driver did a double loop
around the airport.  Getting the rental car was super fast.
It was now 2:45pm.

Last year, there was no parking for 10 blocks up 5th Ave.
This year, thought I'd park in another direction (Broadway
and Pac. Highway), and catch the trolley to the conven-
tion center.  As I got to the trolley station, the trolley was
just leaving.  Missed it.  Next one in 15 minutes.

I reached the convention center stop at 3:23pm.  Still had to
pick up the con badge.  Getting the badge was super fast.
Got to the Groo panel 30 seconds before Mark starts the
panel.  Larry called my cel phone and said it's not my turn
to miss the Groo panel!  The Groop was sitting in a group
on the right.  Saw Gary, Larry, Kaytee, Steve, and Dougie.

Gary gave me a Groop membership card.  (Thank you, Gary!)

Took a Groop photo at the end of the panel.  Tom Luth
brought color guides.  We followed him back to Sergio's table.
We looked through the stack of color guides, blocking Steve
Leialoha's table (next to Sergio's).  Gary bought a few.
Larry and I each bought one.

Scott's booth was close to Sergio's table this time.

After the con ended, Scott (and 2 of his friends), Gary,
Larry, and I had dinner at a micro-brewery (but Gary and I
had root beer instead of beer).

Friday:
Didn't hear my cel phone ring -- ambient noise was too loud.
The Groop went to the Crab Shack.  At 7:30pm, finally see
that Larry left a message that they're at the Crab Shack,
with a 1.5 hour wait to get seated.  Skipped the Crab Shack.
Parked at Seaport Village and walked over to the Eisner Awards
later.  Saw Larry, Gary, Josh, and Tweeny.

Saturday:
Quick Draw panel at 1:00pm.  Walked over to Sergio's table
at 12:48pm to remind Sergio that he has a panel.  Sergio
says he knew.  Gary was also there.  The con sent someone
to escort Sergio to the panel.  At the panel, the Groop was
sitting in a group.  Saw Larry, Kaytee, Steve, and Richard.  I
could only stay for the 1st half hour, due to a panel conflict
(the Little Archie panel started at 1:30pm).  The 1st half hour
was great.  As usual, no one could keep pace with Sergio!
Same contestants as the Wondercon Quick Draw panel --
Scott Shaw, Jeff Smith, and Sergio.

This was the first comic con of any kind that the Little Archie
artists Bob Bolling and Dexter Taylor ever attended.  Little
Archie is 49 years old. Both artists are in their 70s, and live in
Florida.  When asked what they thought of the con, Bob said,
"We drove 3000 miles to get here, and it was worth it!"
Dexter said, "It's mind blowing!"

Went to TGI Friday with Larry for dinner.

Sergio and Scott Shaw had promo postcards to give away for
the Ramones artwork that they had done.  The National Car-
toonists Society still had the booklet with Sergio's artwork to
give away.

Sunday:
Saw Jon B. Cooke.  Asked him if he was still planning to do the
Comic Book Artist issue on Sergio.  (Previously, it was changed
to an issue on Will Eisner.)  He said, "Yes, sometime in 2006."

Sorry, this is all I have time to write.  I still owe a few people
some stuff from the con.  Haven't forgotten about it, but I'll
have to get to it next month when I get back.  Sorry.

See you.

Eric