[Groop] Re: Groop Digest, Not for resale

Rick Loomis rick at flyingbuffalo.com
Sun May 15 14:57:56 PDT 2005

At 12:00 PM 5/15/05, you wrote:

>Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 12:56:05 +0800
>From: Azamin <azamin7 at pd.jaring.my>
>Subject: Re: [Groop] wolverine vs groo on ebay
>To: groop at groo.com
>
>i believe that "Not For Resale" mark refers to not to  resale for
>profit... but to resale it for dispose of what you have is permitted as
>it means the transfer of ownership whithout having making money (profit)
>in mind.

?? I've never heard of "not for resale for profit". Anything marked "not
for resale" generally means it was given to the owner for free, as a demo
copy or for review(for instance) and the owner is supposed to use it as
intended, and not to sell it. If it was indeed given to him for free, then
if he sells it for anything at all, he would be making a profit. However,
I'm pretty sure "not for resale" can't be legally binding. Once you give
someone ownership of something, it becomes theirs to dispose of however
they wish. You can't legally (in the USA anyway) tell them how much they
can resell it for, or even that they can't sell it at all. However I
believe most people who stamp "not for resale" on demo copies are just
trying to embarrass the guy who is going to sell it instead of using it as
a demo. (Or perhaps remind him that this isn't inventory, but is supposed
to be shown to potential customers.)
Rick Loomis

Flying Buffalo Inc  www.flyingbuffalo.com
PO Box 1467, Scottsdale, AZ 85252