[Groop] Groop Digest, Molasses

Rick Loomis rick at flyingbuffalo.com
Fri Apr 20 14:17:51 PDT 2007

At 10:06 AM 4/20/07, you wrote:
>Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 07:58:12 -0700
>From: "Grossmann, Gary (DOR)" <GaryG at DOR.WA.GOV>
>Subject: Re: [Groop] Another Consolidated Message
>

>blackstrap molasses:   This has a strong, bitter flavor, and it's not
>very sweet.
>black treacle = dark treacle  Pronunciation:  TREE-cull   This is the
>British version of America's blackstrap molasses.
>
>Sounds like it would make a real yummy pie, eh?  Alomost as tasty as
>cheese dip mixed with mulch!
>
>-Gary G.

Blackstrap molasses is one of the three main grades of molasses,
which is one of the byproducts of making sugar from sugar cane. It is
used to make rum, I believe. It (blackstrap molasses) is high in
iron, and supposedly good for you. My grandfather used to eat supper
consisting of blackstrap molasses, cornbread, and buttermilk. I
thought it was awful stuff, but he lived to be over 80 years old and
was in good health for almost all of those years.
Rick
Not a Pirate