[Groop] Groo Sightings in the UK?

No Way no_way8888 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 27 03:36:15 PDT 2007

I have to admit, that list made me laugh (fortunately I work night desk, so there was no one around to look at me funny).

  I don't have a lot to add, not being British myself, although I must say being a Canadian in the UK was a bit of a surreal experience.  Nobody seems quite sure what to do with you.  If you're American, then "Ah, you're a Yank, then.  Right." *emphatic nod*, and that seems to be about it.

  But Canadians... well... it seems to be generally understood that considering us to be Americans engenders the same sort of reaction as calling an Austrian German, or a Scotsman English, although why this should be so isn't quite clear.  Also, we're part of the Commonwealth, which seems good and sensible, but have just enough deranged foreign habits (hockey, French as a national language, the National Democratic Party [which isn't the same thing as the Liberals] and wandering about in the filthiest weather barely acknowledging it) to stand out as being more than a little odd.

  I would occasionally find them handling me gingerly, as if I were apt to explode or something...  Oh well.  I had a good time, even if everything was lunatically expensive and the exchange rate bad :p

  Oh- some minor linguistic points... "Pants" = Underwear.  The proper term is "Trousers"... and do NOT call the little carryall around your waist a 'fanny pack', as this is apt to offend (on that side of the pond, 'fanny' = slang for female genitalia, as far as I was able to figure out... never did ask directly)- over there it's a "Bum bag".

  Cheers,
  David Reinhardt

Mark Lisa & Jamie <brownhome at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
        v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}        st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }                I was discussing your question with some friends and we have come up with this easy nine point plan to help you fit right in
.

   Brits talk about the weather – a lot.  Not many of us know anything about it but making statements of obvious fact about the current weather will suffice if you are struggling for conversation.  One of the most exciting things about living in Britain is that you never know just what weather the day will bring – rain, snow, sun, cloudy, hail, heatwave (two sunny days back to back)
. Could be anything but take it as read that it will rarely be what the guy on TV said it would be.    Makes planning outdoor events really exciting !

   We also enjoy moaning and complaining..  Its a national past-time.  Complaining about the price of things, Petrol for example - sold in litres here but I think the equivalent for a US gallon is currently around $7.20 – Is always a good place to start

   Learn to speak knowledgeably about house prices by watching the following television programs:   Grand Designs, Property Ladder, or Location Location Location
  so you can have informed conversations with your colleagues whilst drinking tea or beer .   Don’t watch the following: Eastenders, Emmerdale, Corrie -  they are all far too depressing

   Never ever talk to anyone else in a queue or in a doctors waiting room

   Some people take sport very seriously
 and a rudimentary understanding of Soccer (but please don’t call it that - its football) will see you ok in most social situations
  If asked in a hostile and aggressive manner by a drunken yob which football team you support – the best answer is to say that you aren’t really into football but prefer rugby.   Never volunteer information that you like cricket.  We hate the England cricket team only marginally less than we hate the French

   Most of us actually don’t want to be European

   Don’t admit voting for George and we won’t admit voting for Tony

   We may be a small island, but it will take you ages to drive anywhere – especially on or inside the M25

   Good day out to understand the British Psyche.  We had a lot or argument here but decided that this was the winner
. http://www.japar.demon.co.uk/   There is something very quintessentially British about this whole effort
 Just pipped “Gnome Magic”
 also off the A12

   Don’t forget to drive on the left