[Groop] Groo reference in the tv-show Angel?

Neil Ottenstein neil.ottenstein at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 12:17:48 PST 2007

Since Joss Whedon is a reader of comics I think there is no
coincidence at all.  The wikipedia article
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Groosalugg
says "It should be noted that this character is also a send off the
Sergio Aragones comic character Groo the Wanderer." but in my quick
search I couldn't see any quote by Joss Whedon about it.

Now does anyone remember  Mid-Ohio-Con in 2002? It appears that Mark
"Groosalugg" Lutz was there as well as Sergio and Mark Evanier.  I
wonder if there was anything discussed about this connection at the
time.

Neil