[Groop] OT. Dr. Who

wolfe daswolf at coastalnet.com
Mon Jul 9 08:47:38 PDT 2007

I know I don't post much but since someone mentioned Doctor Who I had to say
something.

I'm a Doctor Who fan. A fan since before Groo in fact (would that be B.G.
?).

I am one of those rare US fans that doesn't have cable and has dial-up so
I'm stuck waiting for the DVDs to see the new season. But don't mind me when
it comes to spoilers. I'm afraid I've already been spoiled about the big
stuff. I dont seek out Who spoilers but they always find me.

As for the new series, I do like it. I'm particularly looking forward to a
new episode written by Steven Moffat and the adaptation of the novel "Human
Nature". Still, I can't help feeling that the new series isn't quite as
adventurous and imaginative with its storytelling as it could be. Probably
that isn't the show's fault but mine. During the years between the old and
new I read a lot of the novels. It really isn't fair to compare them since
the books were being written for an older audience, by fans and when no one
ever thought there would be a new series. They could afford to be more
daring.

Speaking of the books, I think some Groo fans might enjoy the Doctor Who
book "The Crooked  World". The Doctor and friends land on a world inhabited
by cartoon characters  based on very familiar H-B , Looney Tunes, etc
cartoons. The rules of this world begin to change as a result their arrival,
introducing, among other things, actual death. It has been a while since I
read it, but I remember it as being both funny and touching. I'm sure the
book is long out of print but it is definately worth reading if you come
across it.

Now if only I could take a short hop in the TARDIS to the new Groo......

Stephanie Wolfe