[Groop] how did tom luth do his job?

Grossmann, Gary (DOR) GaryG at DOR.WA.GOV
Wed Jun 13 15:00:25 PDT 2007

Someone else can probably do a better job at answering your question,
but here is my shot at it:

In the "old days" Tom made Color Guides.  Tom colored the pages
(photocopies called "stats") using what looked like watercolors to me.
Very cool to see.  Then he would code them to show what proportions of
each different color should be cyan, magenta, and/or yellow.  So a color
guide, in addition to being colored, has all sorts of little codes like
2y1m or something like that.  (I don't have one in front of me.)  That
is what would be sent to the printer for use in the color separation
process. (Which I think is done by magic Elves.)
The folks at Dark Horse told me that Stan was one of the few "Old
School" guys who made the transition to computer coloring.  That's
because he's good!
Sergio is famous for his "loose" pencils.  To a non artist like myself,
it looks like Sergio basically does his inking freehand.  He draws
little squiggles and circles in pencil just to block a scene.  But
that's about it.  He's amazing.
-Gary G.