[Groop] WONDERCON: THE SERGIO & MARK SHOW

Larry Steller mrgrooism at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 5 21:32:43 PST 2007

Eric Chun said:

> > > There's a difference between a "real fan" and a "collector fan."
> > >
> > > A "real fan" goes out of his way to promote his/her favorite
> things.
> > > For example, creating a costume and dressing up as your favorite
> > > character (like Trekkies / Star Wars fans or Ruben dressing up as
> > > Groo) at conventions, getting a permanent tattoo (this is heavy
> duty),
> > > creating bead artwork for the art show at Comic Con (like
> Kaytee),
> > > drawing fan art for Groo's 25th anniversary for the souvenir book
> > > which reaches 100,000 people (like Dougie and Conor), or creat-
> > > ing a web site.
> > >
> > > A collector fan buys product.

So Larry sez:

This sounded a LOT like Eric was dissing Gary and saying he's not a
real fan, but JUST knowing Eric the way I do, I can't for the life of
me believe that that is what he meant to say.

Gary is obviously WAY more than "merely" a collector, even though he is
Groo Collector Supremo. He's done so much for other Groo Fans around
the world, getting Groo freebies from Cons and shipping them worldwide,
buying things and shipping internationally from places that only ship
US for relative strangers.

And the thing is, Eric (who is only 3% mean, and I don't even think
THAT much, heee heeeee) doesn't have a nasty bone in his body. He's the
SINGLE nicest person I've EVER met, anywhere! So I think (correct me if
I'm wrong, Eric) that the couple of people who posted here in support
of Gary and who PMed me wondering what was up with the tone of his post
should realize that whatever Eric meant to say about the nature of
"real" fans, I GUARANTEE it wasn't meant as an attack on Gary.

Makes sense?

-Larry "Mr. Grooism" Steller, Master Mendicant (!!!?)
http://www.myspace.com/mrgrooism

"<i>I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.</i>" Edgar Allan Poe

Favorite Links:
BRONX COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY http://www.bronxhistoricalsociety.org
FORGOTTEN NEW YORK: http://www.forgotten-ny.com/
NEWS FROM ME: http://www.newsfromme.com/