[Groop] Groop Groo comics on dvd

Tone Tone at moon-shine.net
Thu Mar 29 17:40:07 PDT 2007

Kaytee,
            I would think copy-protecting a DVD would increase the
production costs of duplicating the DVDs. Also, even the best disc
protection is practically useless. I myself ordered a program called
Alcohol 120%, which is a legal DVD & CD image burning program. The main
reason I purchased it is to make CD image files of mainly my gaming
discs in order to have them available on my laptop's hard drive rather
than have to worry about transporting the actual original game discs
around all the time and risking them getting easily swiped, lost, or
damaged when I am not at home. It does not take any cracking or hacking,
and the majority of my games have some kind of copy-protection.

            In regards to your trial image software, most digitized
comics are in a format called CBR or CBX I believe. All that file format
consists of are compressed file folders and image files, such as JPG,
PNG, PDF, or whatever in either usually zipped format (in the case of
CBX) or RAR archived format (in the case of CBR). I might be getting the
corresponding compression format mixed with the file extension, but
basically that is it. As an example, basically if you were to change
"GrooMarvel-88.CBR" to its corresponding compression extension of
"GrooMarvel-88.zip" then you could uncompress all those files using your
default unpacking program. The same would go for "GrooMarvel-88.CBR" and
using your RAR archival program. The choice of compression just comes
down to a user's preference I believe and whether your comic viewer is
compatible with it.
            The reason they decided to simply change the filename
extension is so if people just want to view a bunch of collected images,
in this case related to a specific comic book, their comic book reading
program would be the default CBX file viewer instead of having your
operating system automatically choose your default compression program
each time, and then also having to still view the comic book pages as
images in yet another program. The comic book viewer allows you to
retain all your comic book image files in a compressed cohesive form,
which obviously takes up less disc space, while also allowing to the
ability to flip and view every page in a usually convenient, intuitive,
and enjoyable interface.
            If it is not already clear, I bring this all up because even
if Groo was digitized on a copy-protected read-only disc with a built in
comic book viewer, most likely anyone could read and copy over just the
base CBX or CBR files then use them either in their own viewer or burn
their own DVD version.

            On a separate note too, even if the trial version of that
particular program does not permit print outs or screen printing, anyone
can pretty much get programs off the internet, which allow a user to
print a screen, grab a screen image, or even record whatever is on the
screen like it is a TV with a VCR attached. I hate to scare anyone using
any of those video chat programs and possibly doing some potentially
embarrassing acts while thinking the program both you and your chat
partner are using does not allow for such things, but you should not
take that for granted. Someone can easily use a separate program in
order to record in some way whatever is transpiring on their screen.
Some people also use these kinds of programs to also cheat streaming
video services, where the company thinks their copyright interests are
safe since the video clip is streaming and the related viewing program
does not allow for saving any files. In the end a person can crop out
the rest of their screen, just leaving the desired area of the screen
shot and save the image or video file as another file format, which can
be made into numerous duplicates and spread easily on-line.

            .Something to think about.
_TONE_