[Groop] Groo is here!!!!!!!!

Tone Tone at moon-shine.net
Wed May 9 11:52:16 PDT 2007

            Woohoo. upcoming Groo!
            I already located two comic book shops nearby to where I
will be moving to in York, PA. so I am ready. Once I get moved into our
new place I will definitely be making an excursion to both shops to see
what Groo stuff they already might have as well as check into whether
they allow pre-orders for upcoming releases! :-)

Gary,
            I would think no one would complain if you rounded up to
higher than just a buck. Obviously the postage is the key factor, then
as you pointed out there is the cost of envelopes, comic bags, and
back-boards. I forget exactly what Paypal charges (Something like 20-80
cents as the initial charge then it increments from there depending on
the amount transferred), but I would imagine everything alone without
the postage would cost more than just a dollar. I know you like to
remain as humble and fair as possible, but if you are going to be doing
the coordinating and mailing, etc. there is something called "handling".
You might incur minor expenses for yourself with such things as the
price of gas use in multiple trips to the post office, etc. I think you
mentioned you ride a bike on occasion, so maybe you do not have to
concern yourself with gas pricing. still there may be a noticeable
effort on your part or a build up of minor unnoticeable costs. If I
contribute or gain something from the Groo exchange, I know I personally
would want to make sure you would not be stressed in the least by the
process. Occasionally I feel people these days take for granted
(unconsciously sometimes) what goes into making things work and happen
effectively.
            A suggestion I have for you to reduce the costs further is
when you set up a separate Paypal account for the Groo exchange you
might want to consider making it a personal account rather than PayPal's
standard commercial/business account. The difference primarily lies in
whether the account can accept and process credit card or debit based
payments/transfers. I keep a personal account myself. To avoid costs
involved in transferring funds to me, I always make sure people send me
money by using their own Paypal funds. As long as a user already has a
large enough balance in their Paypal account to cover the transfer or
has a linked savings bank account (NOT checking otherwise it is
considered a debit and there is a processing fee), there should not be
any fees associated for anyone involved.
            It should be noted though after creating a personal account
if a user is sent a credit card or debit based transfer of funds and the
user accepts the payment, then their account is automatically upgraded
to the commercial/business level. That level will then always be able to
automatically accept and process credit card & debit payments, but a
charge will be deducted from the amount paid. If I am not mistaken, a
Paypal account is only allowed to down-grade once. That means once a
charged payment is authorized by a user, which results in an account
upgrade, and they revert back to a personal account, but authorize
another chargeable transfer, then the user can never go back to non-fee
transfers.
            Of course the drawback to using just a personal account is
it reduces the methods a person can pay for their comic exchange
transaction. People without Paypal accounts would not be able to pay you
with a credit or debit card. It might be more complicated for you, but
maybe to help reduce some people's costs you can offer an option for
Paypal users to send funds to you through their already established
Paypal balance. Personally, if I knew you were taking into account
PayPal's fees and rounding up the total cost, I would most likely just
pay you using a credit card charge anyway rather than a direct Paypal
fund transfer. I would do this because it might mean you getting at
least a little extra compensation, plus I would earn more points with my
bank for using my credit card. :-)
_TONE_