[Groop] Groo in Usagi Yojimbo

J Brooks jabrooks at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 10 08:53:27 PST 2007

I am reading all of Usagi Yojimbo starting from the very beginning (the public library is an amazing resource).

In Book One, in the first or second story, there is an appearance from our favorite barbarian (with animal ears).  Then, throughout the first bunch of short stories, there are various references to a "mindless barbarian" and other famous Groo phrases.

But the best is in Book Three, the story "The Tea Cup" (I believe Fantagraphics issue number 11) the entire story is an homage to Groo (even labeled "with apologies to Sergio Aragone's Groo the Wanderer).  It is set up exactly like a Groo comic with splash page featuring a poem (and little warrior women), and moral at the end.  Many references to mulch, cheese dip, slow of mind, and a certain Wanderer appearing in shadows.  Just a fantastic comic story.