[Groop] ny con part 2

sean ferris seanferris at optonline.net
Mon Nov 19 15:48:12 PST 2007

>From Sergio we went to Adam Huges and saw his "friend" Allison Sohn 1st...She asked what she could do for us and we asked for a sketch and she took my daughters sketch book and said Adam would be happy to sketch it, but little did she know that we knew she was a great artist herself, so we said we meant her and she happily sketched in the kids books...we then saw her "man" and again he sketched as well...On to Dick Ayers who was with is wife who was happy to tell everyone about her husbands tour during WWII and how she made him wear his uniform (that still looked good and fit him) to the show...He was happy to sketch for the kids as well...

I then spotted Carmine Infantino...We asked him to sketch but he said he couldnt so we asked him to sign and he was happy to but he didnt have a pen (an artist without a pen???) so we borrowed one of Mark Texieras... he signed my sons and asked if he could add just a Flash symbol and he said he could do that, so both kids got a Flash "bolt" by the father (in my eyes) of Barry Allen (artistically speaking)... Next was Texiera (I had to give the pen back) he drew a Wolverine for my Son and a Ghost Rider for my daughter BUT then my son started whining that it wasnt fair that my daughter has all her sketches on the same page but his are all separate...when Tex heard this he thought that Alex wanted a Ghost Rider so he told Alex to give his book back to him and proceeded to draw a GR for him as I explained what he was really whininng about Sams book differing SO he said he doesnt mind doing another for Alex because he remembered being a kid trying to get sketches and he didnt have a Dad who bought him a sketchbook... Sam then takes full advantage of the situation by asking for another sketch too...BUT she asked for her friend who did not come to the show, Jess, loved Ghost Rider (her X-Goldfish was named  GR) and even asked to have it personalized to her (my daughter can be considerate sometimes) and again Tex was very happy to do it...

On to Jim Steranko who was happy to sign but not sketch...I tried what I did with Carmine to no avail (not a Flash logo but a Cap shield)... we then saw Joe Sinnott who was very happy to sketch for both kids but this is also where I found out that John Romita Sr was not going to be at the show beacause he was not feeling well...

I knew that one of my customers kids was going to the show so we went to see him...Ted Rechlin was with twin brothers Guy and Ian Dorian and all three were happy to sketch for the kids and ask them about the guys who sketched before them... We then went to Bob McLeod who sketched as did Scott Roberts (artist of the "RugRats" daily comic strip)We then saw Irwin Hasen who said he would only sign and this time I didnt ask for a Flash logo...

More next time if anyones still reading...