[Groop] Combined Post

Gary Grossmann garyg5678 at live.com
Sat Dec 13 03:03:45 PST 2008

 Hi Folks!

Well, in my efforts to (finally) not be the top poster for the year, here are my two kopins on various recent topics:

On the "Not OT" thread, I pretty much agree with Larry.  Sergio & Mark could do the type of Groo stories many of you have said you like better than the recent stuff for the next 20 years if they wanted to.  They just don't want to.  I think Sergio and Mark do Groo as much to satisfy themselves as anyone else and obviously they want to use Groo to make some points.  This has always been the case to one degree or another.  When Sergio has discussed Groo in interviews over the last 25 years he always says that Groo must always lose because he is stupid and his answer to everything is violence.  So when the right thing happens it's an accident or because bad guys try to use Groo or because Chakaal is involved or something like that.  What is different recently is that rather than general moral themes, Sergio and Mark have gotten much more topical.  That's fine with me as long as the silliness is not compromised.  And whether it has been compromised is completely subjective.

My favorite of the recent stuff is "Mightier Than the Sword." Pipal Khan's imagining Groo gave Sergio the oppurtunity to do some really outrageous art and Mark's Elmer Fudd dialogue for Pipal put me on the floor.  But I've liked all of the other 4 parters too, some more than others.

I would really, really like to see Sergio get to do the 12 part "Friends & Enemies" that he envisioned a number of years ago, but I think the current perceived market situation is working against that.  My understanding is that publishers want 4-6 parters that can be turned into TPBs.  This is too bad because EVERYBODY I talk to, including many comic shop owners, would like to see new one-shot Groos, which they believe would sell better than the mini-series.  Maybe the way to sell it would as two sets of 4.  (4 enemies and 4 friends) They come out alternately, first a friend, then an enemy.  Then you have two TPB, one for the Friends one-shots and one for the Enemies one shots.  Well, I can dream...

Other stuff:
Larry, the photo thing could only happen to you.  But since you ARE officially Chipper Jones, that should mean you can afford to go the Con next year.  But now I'm really confused. Does this mean Yankee Stadium has really been in Atlanta all of these years?

John, I hope you get the Groo/Archie drawing.  (Fortunately for you, I can't afford to bid on it!!!)

And IMHO:
Heroes: Season 1 was great.  Heroes: Season 2 started to get a little too convoluted and contrived.  Heroes: Season 3 "Lost" me, just as "Lost" did and I no longer watch it.

The original "Raiders" remains possibly the best action adventure movie ever.  "Temple" sucked, as did many Spielberg efforts during his "Kid" phase.  "Chrystal Skull" had its drawbacks, but delivered what us geezer-bound boomers wanted to see.

OK, that's it.  Now I've got to make sure the Community College I'm "guarding" is not being overrun by rampaging squirrels and raccoons.

Take care all,

Gary G.