[Groop] Groop Digest, Profiteering

Rick Loomis rick at flyingbuffalo.com
Tue Feb 19 12:14:43 PST 2008

At 01:00 PM 2/19/08, you wrote:

>I'm very sure that Tone never meant anything by it, but of COURSE I can
>vouch for John. He has sent me cool stuff free just because he thought
>of me, he's definitely generous and one-of-a-kind. No one now is
>accusing him of profiteering, but if there is anyone in the Groop who
>should be allowed to sell us stuff, it's John, that's for sure!

John,
let it roll off your back.
(1) There is nothing wrong with profiteering. It makes the world go round.
(2) People who object to profiteering are usually idiots. When I
started testing my first play-by-mail game, I offered to run the game
for ten cents a turn, when it would cost me eight cents in postage to
mail the results back to the players. (i.e. two cents in profit,
after deducting the cost of the envelope, etc). I got back an
anonymous postcard from Canada telling me he wasn't going to join my
game because I was "just trying to make a profit off of wargamers".
(3) The only valid objection to profiteering, is not to buy the offered item!
(4) When someone objects to my selling the last item in my inventory
for a much higher price, I just tell them "I'm charging a higher
price to make sure the purchaser really really wants it. If I had
sold it for the normal price, it would have sold a long time ago and
would not now be available for you to buy it, if you choose to."
(5) Let it roll off your back. People who make that kind of complaint
are usually idiots anyway, and who cares what an idiot thinks?
(6) I, on the other hand, am not an idiot.
(7) At least, I think so.

>Message: 2
>Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 11:50:23 -0800 (PST)
>From: Larry Steller <mrgrooism at yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: [Groop] Display Boxes (the Answer is...)
>To: groop at groo.com
>

>--- "Grossmann, Gary (DOR)" <GaryG at DOR.WA.GOV> wrote:
>
> > Here here!!   John T. is a great guy!  (As any fool can plainly see!)
> >

> > -Gary G.
> >

>I can see that!

Well, I can plainly see that also!
Rick Loomis