grossfamm at comcast.net
Mon Jun 16 19:10:45 PDT 2008
Sorry, that was meant just for Larry.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Chun" <ericchun at hotmail.com>
To: "Gary Grossmann" <grossfamm at comcast.net>
Sent: Monday, June 16, 2008 7:05 PM
Subject: RE: [Groop] Ants!!!!!
If you opt for the borax solution, be extremely careful. Borax is a very
strong poison; you should wear gloves when using it, and not place it in a
high traffic area.
Borax, sodium tetraborate decahydrate, is not acutely toxic.  Its LD50
score is tested at 2.66 g/kg in rats.  This does not mean that it is
safe, merely that a significant dose of the chemical is needed to cause
severe symptoms or death. Simple exposure can cause respiratory and skin
irritation. Ingestion may casue gastrointestinal distress including nausea,
persistent vomiting, abdominal pain, and diarrhea. Effects on the vascular
system and brain include headaches and lethargy, but are less frequent. "In
severe poisonings, a beefy red skin rash affecting palms, soles, buttocks
and scrotum has been described. With severe poisoning, erythematous and
exfoliative rash, unconsciousness, respiratory depression, and renal
A reassessment of boric acid/borax by the United States Environmental
Protection Agency Office of Pesticide Programs found potential developmental
toxicity (especially effects on the testes). Boric acid solutions used as
an eye wash or on abraded skin are known to be especially toxic to infants,
especially after repeated use because of its slow elimination rate.
> From: grossfamm at comcast.net
> To: mrgrooism at yahoo.com; groop at groo.com
> Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 18:51:04 -0700
> Subject: [Groop] Ants!!!!!
> OK, so I filled up the 55 gallon drum one more time (that makes 4) so the
> place looks like a stick of dynamite went off (Big flat cleared area with
> a deep hole in the middle) Then I spread around grits and borax/sugar.
> We'll see what happens....
Enjoy 5 GB of free, password-protected online storage.
More information about the Groop