[Groop] where were you

David Graham david at davidgraham.com
Sat Dec 12 17:41:37 PST 2009

I know this one has ran it's course, but my e-mail did not seem to be
working at the time, did I err?

"My own wandering story starts in 1988. I was a paperboy working from a
newsagents in Glasgow, Scotland. One of my duties was to check the
deliveries of magazines against what had been ordered on any given day. This
was not a thrilling job, let me assure you, but it did get me some much
needed pocket money. One day we received a comic that had not been ordered,
Marvel Vol 2 Issue 39. I queried this with the shop owner to see if he knew
anything about it, but I was assured  that it was a mistake, the supplier
was simply trying to make a few extra kopins by sending out publications
that had not been requested. If these were not returned within 7 days the
shop would be billed for them, so my mission was to return the comic.

To this day I'm still not sure what persuaded me to part with the princely
sum of 50p, that insane grin of Groo in the corner, or the winning smile of
Rufferto, but 50p came out of that weeks wages and my first issue of Groo
was in my hands rather than winging its way back to that mendicant of a
supplier.  Collecting from then on in became a very enjoyable trip into
Glasgow to visit the "Forbidden Planet" comic shop where most of my issues
were bought. What was going to become much trickier (especially from
Scotland) was trying to track down those elusive early issues. It's still
ongoing of course, once bitten by the bug it can become a lifelong
obsession. I now have pretty much every issue that Groo has been in, along
with a fairly good showing in the merchandise department. My favourite
(that's how you spell it in Scotland) is split between the PVC figures, I
loved them so much I have 5 sets, 1 for looking at and 4 that have never
been out of their packaging and Tom Luth's original hand coloured copy of
issue 105 "The Curse of Criaturas"

21 years later (now that's a bit scary) I now have the pleasure of knowing I
introduced Groo to the next generation, my 8 & 10 year old kids are very
knowledgeable  in all things Groo, so is my wife, she just wishes she
wasn't!

To everybody involved with the comic I would like to say thank you, you have
made me laugh out loud many times in the last 21 years, let's hope there's
plenty more to come."