[Groop] Where were you?

Rocky Smith mulch3 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 6 19:33:12 PDT 2009

A friend of my younger brother came over to the house one day and brought with him a pile of comics.  Among them was the Marvel/Epic GROO #1.  I remember being immediately attracted to the comic because:

a.  I'm a lifelong comic book fan
b.  I recognized Sergio's artwork immediately.  My buddies and I had been collecting and reading Sergio for years.  We owned countless MAD magazines and nearly all of his MAD digests.  Of all the artists in MAD, he was our favorite.
c. I'm a die-hard fan of SAVAGE SWORD OF CONAN magazines and have always enjoyed reading publications of the fantasy/sword and sorcery genre.

A comic that encompassed all of these seemed to me to be a dream come true.  Working backwards and forwards from that #1, I eventually obtained all other copies of GROO.

rocky (finn)