[Groop] Where was I when I first read Groo

treetop_91601 at yahoo.com treetop_91601 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 16 20:36:16 PDT 2009

I was 23 years old and hadn't picked up a comic book for ten years. When I was in Jr. High I enjoyed reading comic books; I started hanging out with the "wrong" crowd who looked down at comic books as a "little kid thing."
So I ended up as seeing it through the eyes of peer pressure. Besides, I wanted to hang out at the beach with my friends, go surfing down at Santa Monica, Zuma, or Malibu beach.
   Anyways, to make a long story longer, I was in college and hanging out during Easter Break at my buddies Jake and Dave's place down by the beach. We had spent a few days Beach Combing when it happened. My buddies were reading comic books in their living room. I was shocked and bemused all at once. I thought it totally immature and they were older then me!
  I made fun of them. Jake told me look you have to read this story it is funny and has a moral.  I was just saying no way. He said I'll leave the new issue out for you and if you truly don't like it I'm buying you dinner. If you read it and you do like it then your buying everybody here dinner.

Now, there were about 10 or 12 guys and gals crashing at there place. And it was  close to Redondo Beach and Manhattan beach in L.A.  So all the places we ate at there were pretty expensive, especially for me since I am a cheap skate.  Well I couldn't turn down a challenge that I was sure to win . . .
  So I picked up a new Marvel Groo thinking free meal here I come.  I noticed the artwork looked familiar but couldn't place it.
  About, 20 minutes later I was cursing a blue streak.  I loved it and was really P.O.ed that I had to buy everybody dinner.  I am a cheap skate but an honest one at that.

I don't remember which issue it was but I was hooked. And yes they all ganged up on me at dinner and made fun of me calling me Mr. Comic Book Hater Man.  And most of them, in the know, kept on asking me if I'd like some cheesedip with my dinner and of course I had month idea what they were talking about.
I spent the following months collecting Groo back issues and was totally confused by all the different #1's. I now have a really comprehensive collection. Since then, I have shared my love of Groo with many others.
Hope to see you all at Comic Con: Sergio and Mark Show.
Forrest Stobbe
P.S. Yes I did type this all from my Blackberry
P.P.S. Yes I know I am a tech weeny!
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile