[Groop] Calgary Con Report-

Conor Geoghegan theirishtiger at hotmail.com
Fri May 1 05:23:29 PDT 2009

Hi Mark -
I was actually at the con, and I'm very sorry to hear that your experience wasn't all that great.
I spoke with a friend of mine (named Andrew Foley; who was at the con too) on Saturday night and he was actually angry at how poorly the panels - specifically yours - had been organized. Andrew was actually the guy that went searching through the convention floor for the other panelists on the "Writing For Comics" panel when they didn't show up (apparently nobody had even told them they were supposed to be on the panel). The reason Steve Niles and Josh Ortega - the two missing panelists - ultimately never showed up was because when Andrew went to their booths, they were in the middle of dealing with a line of fans, they hadn't been informed about the panel at all, and they didn't want to just ditch the fans at their tables.
Andrew was also angry that, apparently, water bottles hadn't been provided for any of the panelists. He felt that that was common courtesy, but had been overlooked. In hindsight, if I had been more observant, I would have brought you a bottle of water myself. But unfortunately, the thought didn't cross my mind until part-way through the Writing For Comics panel....and by then, I didn't really want to leave the panel to go get one, heh heh. I'm sorry about that.
When you combine all this with the fact that you were woken up at 2:00am on Saturday night when somebody in your hotel pulled the Fire Alarm (and these are only the events I personally heard about or witnessed myself), I don't blame you for having negative feelings about the whole experience.
Know this, though: your fans at the convention were very grateful that you came. You have a great sense of humor and a deep knowledge of the comic industry. Your contributions to the 2 panels I saw were informative and valuable, and, for some fans, just having the chance to meet a person whose work they respect and admire, in person, helps make the entire story of their lives just a smidge better.

So even though you may not have had the greatest time, thank you very much for putting the effort in to coming up. You were appreciated more than you probably realize.