[Groop] Groo vs. Conan

Grossmann, Gary (DOR) GaryG at DOR.WA.GOV
Thu Mar 4 14:06:39 PST 2010

Hi Folks!

Yup, they change their minds, which is their privilege and IMHO it's
always been great when they have done it.

Sergio said Groo would never have a sidekick because Groo is so stupid
the sidekick would become the leader and take over.  Then they did what
was supposed to be a short series with Rufferto and, as can happen, the
character took on a life way beyond what was originally anticipated and
became the perfect sidekick for Groo.  Who can now imagine Groo without
Rufferto?

Mark's old gag about a Groo-Conan crossover was that it would
necessarily consist of only three panels:  1.Groo meets Conan. 2. Conan
calls Groo a mendicant.  3. Groo slays Conan.  Or something like that.
But Dark Horse wanted them to do one and they came up with using the
"Rashomon" concept of telling the same story as seen through different
eyes.  Other than that, and the fact that, obviously, neither kills the
other, Sergio & Mark have kept the story close to vest, but we will see
what happens through Groo's eyes, Conan's eyes, and no doubt other eyes
as well.   I can't wait!!

(btw, in the original, you never know which version, if any, is
accurate.  In the American remake, with Paul Newman in the Mifune role,
and a pre-Captain Kirk William Shatner as a priest (!), they give you a
version that is supposed to be what really happened. But I digress...)

As for Tarzan, Sergio has said coming up with a way for that to work was
more difficult because while Groo & Conan both live in completely
mythical, more or less Middle Ages type settings, Tarzan takes place in
Africa in the early 20th century.  But apparently, he and Mark came up
with something.  So that should be a blast as well.  I wonder how
Rufferto and Cheetah the Chimp will get along?

Then comes "Friends and Enemies" and that will be like the old one
shots.

I just wish they could get back to a once a month schedule, or close to
it.  But, Sergio has filled the MAD gap with doing Simpson's stuff for
Bongo, and he always has a bunch of other things, and Mark always has a
dozen things (at least) going at once.  I have no idea how he finds the
time to blog to the extent that he does, not to mention find all of
those pictures of baby pandas.

Take care all,

Gary G.