[Groop] a bit of Comic Con hotel info

Dana Gabbard dgabbard at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 4 15:28:14 PDT 2010

For the last few years the Con has actually been encouraging folks to make their own reservations directly with hotels since the Con's reservation system couldn't cope with demand and its offerings vanished fast when the phone lines opened in March. I take it the Con's hotel system was a real mess this year, as Travel Planners (the folks who handle hotel reservations for the Con) even did some online apologizing.

The last two years I reserved space in the Holiday Inn on the Bay 50 weeks in advance. It is a good hotel w/nice restaurant on site plus served both by a shuttle route plus 2 blocks from a Trolley station. But for 2011 the hotel has its entire block of rooms being handled by the Convention hotel reservation service. As Mark reminded me when I e-mailed him about this, many of the hotels near the Con are making more rooms available to the Con as part of the campaign to have the Con stay in San Diego.

Perhaps this means Travel Planners may actually be a somewhat more viable option next year?

Gads, Con is still 11 months away and here I am already worrying about hotel reservations. Preparing for Con is really like getting ready for a war with all the advance planning etc. it demands.