[Groop] (Not a) Conan parody

Gary Grossmann garyg5678 at live.com
Sat Jul 9 22:14:55 PDT 2011

Hi Folks!

Kaytee is correct.  Robert E. Howard essentially invented the Sword & Sorcery (i.e. Barbarian) genre.  While there had been some noble savges and some rogue-ish heroes, there had never been anyone quite like Conan, a man of barbaric roots wanting nothing more than adventure, gold, good wine and better women, quite often motivated by revenge, but still adhereing to a rough barbaric code of honor.   The character was so vividly written by Howard that, as has been noted, it sometimes seems that every Sword and Sorcery barbarian hero story is just a Conan pastiche.

Gary G.