[Groop] Jim Shooter - EPIC Interference

Gary Grossmann garyg5678 at live.com
Thu Jul 14 13:13:41 PDT 2011

Can you say "backpedaling?"

Jim Shooter is a very skillful wordsmith who can make it sound like he's being forthright and honest when in fact he is merely reworking his lie to try and make it sound more believeable.  What destroys the credibility of everything he says is the following quote:

"Sergio Aragonés came to visit me one day to pitch an idea for a humorous comic book starring a funny, cheese-dip-loving barbarian character.  Just one thing—he said he knew that Marvel had to “own everything,” but he wanted to retain some small interest in the character.  He knew Marvel had to own and control it, but he would like—he held his thumb and forefinger an inch apart—a  little piece." (Emphasis supplied) Then after hemming and hawing about other parts of the above post he says this in his reply to the Comics Journal article:

"The meeting we had after I became Editor in Chief happened, however, exactly as described. (Emphasis supplied) There is no way in hell Sergio would ever, ever approach an editor with that kind of proposition or obsequious attitude.  He is a very proud man, and I mean that in the most positive sense.  There are many, many folks that know him better than I do and I'd bet real money you couldn't find one who would disagree with me.

So as far as I'm concerned, no matter what he says about timing issues with respect to when Marvel allowed creator owned comics and when he and Sergio had the above conversations (Shooter became EIC in 1978), everything Shooter says is suspect because he sticks to his BS story about the contents of that conversation.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Gary G.