[Groop] Groo Sale!

Porter publicporter at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 22:18:22 PDT 2012

Oh jeez, here we go.  The Groop was talking about this very subject three years ago. I shan't repeat myself but here's the thread link if you want to read it:

http://mailman.newdream.net/pipermail/groop/2009-May/014493.html

Like Ryan, I too have had most every Groo in digital format for many years. And I have said in the past that if they were available as official downloads, I would buy them. Now I'm not so sure - though I want very much to support the authors and artists, I don't think I want to help encourage this trend. Tough call.

I am of two very conflicting opinions about this whole eBook/eComic business. In the past I almost never read my digital Groo scans, not having any great love of reading books or comics on my computer.

That changed this past December when I hopped onto the iPad bandwagon, and much to my surprise (and slight disgust), I've since developed a taste and hunger for eBooks. For me eBooks and eComics are no great replacement for the physical, but they are an astonishingly pleasant alternative and/or companion to them.

And this bothers me a fair bit.

I am concerned for the livelihoods of our comic-artist and author heroes and what this spells for the future of the medium. Others may disagree and see this as a welcome and positive evolution - I hope they are proved right.

As much as I really do enjoy reading comics and books and such on tablets, I am nevertheless rather sorry that Dark Horse, Sergio, Mark & co. have finally embraced (or perhaps were compelled to embrace) this avenue.

And with that, my mind is made up - time to go buy the damned things and enjoy them and let someone else worry about the future.

 ~ Porter.