[Dynagroove] why cant we start building new memories??

c stonberg cyasmile06 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 15 19:56:27 PST 2004

I have belonged to this list for a while now.  Although I rarely reply to this sort of  thread, I can no longer hold my tongue.  Quite frankly, I am tired of hearing everyone whine and complain that our scene is dying.  I am saddened by those desperately trying to relive the parties of the 1990's.  Therefore, I would like to contribute my interpretation of what has happpened to the vibe, or lack there of, on L.A.'s dancefloors.  As a veteran dancer and staple supporter of our beloved HOUSE scene for many years now, I have witnessed countless transitions in both the small and massive parties alike.  My observations have been similiar to many of yours including the lowered numbers in attendence, a lack of energy and enthusiasm, along with an increase in cover fees, expectations, bad attitudes, and cliques.

You can blame the lack of vibe on the promoter, venue, crowd, or even the DJ all you want.  BUT...I will challenge YOU to take a look at what YOU bring to a party's atmosphere when you go out.  I'm sorry people, but, the vibe starts WITHIN YOU!!!  When you attend a party or a weekly event, are you enjoying yourself, or are you too busy pointing out all of the negative aspects.  When you are on the dancefloor, are you bringing positive energy, or are you too busy making sure everyone knows that you are the best dancer out there?   When listening to a DJ or live act,  are you hearing their messages, or are you listening for techinical faults?  Please be aware that the things  you focus on will determine your thoughts and your thoughts will then determine your mood.  Your attitude will create the type of energy exchanged with those sharing the dancefloor with you. Overall, it is the attitude of each individual dancer which collectively creates the vibe.  When you go out, you are
 contributing to the experiences of those around you.  Please be conscious of the effects of your attitudes and actions!   Respect others and their right to have a good time!  Leave your negative thoughts and behaviors at home!

With nothing but love for my fellow house heads,
Carrie