[Dynagroove] Tables for sale (Long response)

Josh Billings josh at mindboxmedia.com
Thu Oct 11 15:39:48 PDT 2007

I'm gonna be the bad guy here...

1. The "Warm Sound" Is usually some kind of saturation / distortion &
almost always rolled off mids & highs. CDs don't have this problem
because they can produce up to 20khz precisely every time. Vinyl is
usually up to roughly 10-13 Khz. Technically they CAN go to 20khz on the
first play but after about 20 or so you're down to a fairly bad sounding
record and with most "Dj Vinyl" being pressed by non Audiophile
standards i don't think we had 20khz to begin with. Another reason why
CDs didn't sound as good as vinyl in the past was that it was mastered
for Vinyl and put on a digital format. There are different practices for
mastering between the different mediums and this makes a big difference
in the sound.

A side note... I don't know any producers that aren't using a computer
for some part of their production now. Even if they use analog synths &
an analog mixing board with live drums they are almost always recording
into a computer and editing/mastering inside of a computer. So if it's
digital then, why transfer it back to analog?

2. I can't Argue with the aesthetics. Records are way cooler than CDs. I
don't know many people that will argue with you, but a lot of records
weren't given the attention they deserve with lackluster Album art or no
art at all...sometimes just a sticker on the label, sometimes just a
white sleeve and no case.

3. Also as far as a night club sound Records are no good. Next time
you're out at a club with a good sound system and you see a DJ playing
both Vinyl & CDs take note of which ones sound better than other then
walk up to the front and see what he/she is playing. I've noticed when
the sound system at focus just doesn't sound quite right (flat would be
the best way to describe it) it's usually a record making the sound.
Also feedback plagues big sound systems when records are played and no
matter what you say if you have bass you have MASSIVELY degraded sound
quality even if you suspend the turntables from the air. Bass moves air
and the air passes over the needle and it's amplified through the sound
system and it's not a pleasing sound..

However function, i prefer CDJs any day. I like all of the advanced
options on a CDJ that you just can't do on a turntable.

4. This is actually where CDs shine. a few of my CDs were stolen at a
gig not that long ago...and it was nice to know i could just burn them
again and not worry about it too much. Now had 30 of my records been
stolen...that would completely ruin my day/week/month + cost me $240 to
replace ($360 for imports). This cost me $1-2 in CDs.

5. Downloadable music is what makes my sound possible. I haven't been
able to find any pressings of most of the tracks i've been playing for
the past year. They are all producers that have a decent following in
Europe but aren't known very well in the states + Talk about predictable
sets...all the record stores for the past 3-4 years have been stocking
the exact same stuff. The only way you could get semi unique tracks
would be buying off the internet (Juno/Sat/DanceRecords etc) and paying
shipping fees.

On top of that it gives people to opportunity to be more creative. I do
my own edits of the tracks i play... if a track is 10 minutes long, but
still really dope i'll edit a shorter version of it or i'll edit a
separate beat on top of something i like that's kinda minimal. This also
makes it easier for DJs to make their own music and play it out. It
gives people the chance to hear stuff they have never heard before and
may only hear it from that one person and it doesn't break the bank to
do it.

I'm a big fan of progress and in the beginning i was anti CDJ like
everybody else was but then slowly warmed up to it. I still remember
when Cade brought in a CDJ-500 or something to focus for the first time
to play the newest stuff that wasn't on Vinyl Yet, that's one moment
that i remember turning me around on the issue.

Ultimately the sound quality i think is without a doubt better on the
average record vs. the average CD. There can be cases in perfect
situations of an isolated room with a turntable with audiophile grade
needles on a great setup (UREI or better) with a record being played for
the first time on a analog system sounding better than CDs...but that's
not the case in a night club setup. However most parties DJ Setups are
on banquet tables (folding tables with plastic tops) with mediocre / old
needles playing records that have been played 20+ times and patched in
through a DJM-500/600 (Mid Grade Digital Mixer).

Don't hate me :-)

-Josh Billings