[Groop]groo flash cartoon?

Ruben Arellano ruben@oanet.com
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 17:34:47 -0800

Call me old-fashioned, but I wouldn't pay for a subscription to an
on-line archive.  My archive is in my closet.  If people want the
back-issues, they should go out and buy them (and help keep the comic
book industry going).  If there was a subscription site with 'exclusive'
internet material, I *might* sign up, but I'd feel like someone was
hijacking my loyalty to Groo & Sergio (when you say "Gary would HAVE to
subscribe", that's what you're doing).

IMHO, the main problem is two-fold: 1)The cost of comics is being beat
out by other forms of entertainment, but more so 2)People are inherently
lazy and other forms of entertainment are more easily accessible and
easily stimulating than comics.  It is easier for Bobby to veg in front
of a movie for $5, than for him to read a comic book for $5.   I think
comics is heading towards being a niche market, rather than a pop market
like in the 'good old days'.

I think the comics industry has a ways to fall, and the popularity of
the Internet has a ways to rise, until they meet a flash point where it
is more viable for Sergio to publish his comics on-line than in print
form.

My too sense,
Ruben.