[Groop]re: sketches

Pengyfelix@aol.com Pengyfelix@aol.com
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 23:27:29 EDT

--part1_197.87a1b0e.2a415421_boundary

--part1_197.87a1b0e.2a415421_alt_boundary

In a message dated 6/18/2002 10:17:38 PM Central Daylight Time, Pengyfelix
writes:
> In a message dated 6/18/2002 9:35:32 PM Central Daylight Time,
> schechnr@flash.net writes:
> >> books that are solely to
>> get sketches in from your favorite artists?
> Ours is a spiralbound book of drawing paper, much like you can pick up at
> any art supply store or Office Depot.  We take it to conventions and ask
> our favorite artists to sketch in it if they are amenable to doing sketches
> for fans.  Usually, unless a price list is posted, I tend to hang about the
> edges of the booth to see if an artist is doing sketches before I ask for
> one.  I think it is polite to at least offer to pay unless it is obvious
> the artist does them for free.
>
> I didn't mean my earlier post to imply that I expect artists to sketch in
> my book as part of being a comic book artist, or to disparage those who
> charge for sketches.  I just meant that I think if anyone should be making
> a buck off an artist's work, it should be the artist.  If an artist draws a
> work to sell as original art or decides to sell the originals of his or her
> published comic book pages, then sure it is ok for the buyer to sell the
> art if necessary, but if an artist gives a fan a sketch as a gift (which is
> how I see our sketchbook), then it is rather poor of the person to try to
> make a profit off it.
>
> I have no problem paying for sketches--after all, art is their business and
> I would not expect anyone to just give me their labor in any other
> occupation (see ME's povonline.com column on people who expect
> artists/writers to create for free).  Sergio and Nate Piekos both did
> sketches for free (thank you again), but we've paid anywhere between five
> and twenty dollars.
>
> Janet
>
> PS Sorry, Glorko, for sending this to you twice.  I forgot to send it to
> the rest of the Groop the first time.

--part1_197.87a1b0e.2a415421_alt_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">In a message dated 6/18/2002 10:17:38 PM Central Daylight Time, Pengyfelix writes: <BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">In a message dated 6/18/2002 9:35:32 PM Central Daylight Time, schechnr@flash.net writes: <BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">books that are solely to <BR>
get sketches in from your favorite artists? </BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
Ours is a spiralbound book of drawing paper, much like you can pick up at any art supply store or Office Depot.&nbsp; We take it to conventions and ask our favorite artists to sketch in it if they are amenable to doing sketches for fans.&nbsp; Usually, unless a price list is posted, I tend to hang about the edges of the booth to see if an artist is doing sketches before I ask for one.&nbsp; I think it is polite to at least offer to pay unless it is obvious the artist does them for free.<BR>
<BR>
I didn't mean my earlier post to imply that I expect artists to sketch in my book as part of being a comic book artist, or to disparage those who charge for sketches.&nbsp; I just meant that I think if anyone should be making a buck off an artist's work, it should be the artist.&nbsp; If an artist draws a work to sell as original art or decides to sell the originals of his or her published comic book pages, then sure it is ok for the buyer to sell the art if necessary, but if an artist gives a fan a sketch as a gift (which is how I see our sketchbook), then it is rather poor of the person to try to make a profit off it.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
I have no problem paying for sketches--after all, art is their business and I would not expect anyone to just give me their labor in any other occupation (see ME's povonline.com column on people who expect artists/writers to create for free).&nbsp; Sergio and Nate Piekos both did sketches for free (thank you again), but we've paid anywhere between five and twenty dollars.<BR>
<BR>
Janet<BR>
<BR>
PS Sorry, Glorko, for sending this to you twice.&nbsp; I forgot to send it to the rest of the Groop the first time.</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</FONT></HTML>

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">In a message dated 6/18/2002 9:35:32 PM Central Daylight Time, schechnr@flash.net writes: <BR>
[...]
Janet</FONT></HTML>