[Groop]Groop Gender Confusion

MisterElie@aol.com MisterElie@aol.com
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 22:04:47 EST

--part1_11b.d3fdbc2.29c2becf_boundary

Hey, I know where you're coming from .  Because my name is "Elie" everyone
thinks I'm female and I've had to deal with that my whole life.  Hence my
email address "misterelie."  Actually adding the title came about in my
college days when I used to spend a lot of time in chat rooms on AOL (then
called "Applelink").  I kept getting hit on by other males.  So I added
"mister" to my screen name.  It didn't stop every male from trying, but at
least it stopped some embarassing moments.

Elie "out of college, and out of the chatrooms - to my wife's relief"

In a message dated 3/14/2002 8:19:26 PM Central Standard Time,
lawrencesteller@yahoo.com writes:

> Subj:[Groop]Groop Gender Confusion
> Date:3/14/2002 8:19:26 PM Central Standard Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:lawrencesteller@yahoo.com">lawrencesteller@yahoo.com</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:groop@groo.com">groop@groo.com</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>

> --- Finn Smith <mulch3@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Gary:
> >
> > I am a male. From Thaspluit.
> >(You know, sister-planet to yours . . .)
>
> It's funny, when I first read Gary's email about Finn, my first
> thought was, "Oh, and all this time I assumed Finn was a guy!"
>
> Then I read Finn's response...
>
> (I feel myself getting long-winded, folks!)
>
> Over the years, there have been a few members of the Groop
> whose gender I was unsure of, since there are a fair amount of
> names (both real and pseudonyms) that could be either.
>
> Whenever we interact with people whom we haven't met, we make
> assumptions that may be ERRoneous (Hey, we are GROOpers and
> GROOpies).
>
> New fictional Grooper "CheesyDipper" could be male, female,
> black, white, asian, hispanic, deaf, jewish, muslim, hindu, tall,
> short, fat, thin, gay, adolescent, elderly, bald, belgian,
> brazilian, zoltronian, able-bodied, out-of-shape, quadraplegic,
> ...I could come up with plenty of varied descriptives, but there
> are two points I want to make:
>
> The details are very important and totally irrelevant!!!
>
> Irrelevant because how we interact with each other shouldn't be
> influenced by descriptives, rather by actions! E-communities are
> great forums for allowing people to relate  BEFORE we can judge
> by visual cues! This can ultimately be a way for people to
> overcome prejudices they may not even be aware of. I mean, I
> doubt there are many people (at least in the Groop) who would
> develop a close friendship with CHEESYDIPPER, then hate them
> because they turn out to be gay, muslim  or a yankee fan...
>
> Important, because who we are is certainly important to each of
> us, and are NOT therefore irrelevant details. They ARE a big part
> of WHO WE ARE.
>
> Anyway, the notion of TOLERENCE has been foremost in my thoughts
> these last six months, so even though there was NOTHING
> intolerant in these two posts, this all sort of just bubbled to
> the top. I'm much more reflective than I used to be (and I don't
> mean shinier!), but JUST AS LONG-WINDED, huh?
>
> I could go on at length, but will bring this all back to my buddy
> Gary: we did a little thing called GUESS THE GROOPER a few years
> ago, where we sent in pictures of ourselves and put up a website
> where we made guesses who was who.
>
> Don't ask me why, but I had always had a mental picture of Gary
> as about 5'10" and 260 lbs, with a full beard. No reason, I think
> just the name GROSSMANN gave me a mental picture of a LARGEMANN.
> To find out he was slim, trim and a long-distance runner
> shouldn't have surprised me, but did!
>
> Oddly enough, I understand most people seemed to have guessed my
> [...]

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>Hey, I know where you're coming from .&nbsp; Because my name is "Elie" everyone thinks I'm female and I've had to deal with that my whole life.&nbsp; Hence my email address "misterelie."&nbsp; Actually adding the title came about in my college days when I used to spend a lot of time in chat rooms on AOL (then called "Applelink").&nbsp; I kept getting hit on by other males.&nbsp; So I added "mister" to my screen name.&nbsp; It didn't stop every male from trying, but at least it stopped some embarassing moments.<BR>
<BR>
Elie "out of college, and out of the chatrooms - to my wife's relief"<BR>
<BR>
In a message dated 3/14/2002 8:19:26 PM Central Standard Time, lawrencesteller@yahoo.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Subj:<B>[Groop]Groop Gender Confusion </B><BR>