[Groop]Larry and his rant (at least 1 person read it)

Sean Ferris saferris@msn.com
Sun, 26 May 2002 21:04:17 -0400

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C204F8.E5B43BF0

I have been involved in comics since 1989 and worked at a comic store fro=
m 1990 (Freshman year in High School) to 1997. I saw MANY people come in =
to sell their collections for various reasons, including: "I need the mon=
ey" but didn't really want to sell [like you], "I'm done with comics", on=
e guy was an obvious drunk and just needed a "fix", and my personal favor=
ite "I'm getting married". Why getting married and having to sell your co=
mics went hand in hand I still don't know. Anyway, in ALL these instances=
 the sellers felt "ripped off" (except the drunk, he just wanted to get r=
ipped). My boss was an excellent store owner and NEVER bought anything he=
 would not make any money on, but at the same time he NEVER took anyone f=
or a "ride" (even the drunk). He paid good money to people based on how f=
ast he could turn it over. If you brought him a silver age collection he =
would give roughly half "guide", but if you brought him a recent collecti=
on he would tell you what he would give, the person would say it is too l=
ittle, he would offer to "cherry pick", the person would decline, he woul=
d tell them to shop around, they would say they would, and by the end of =
the week they would call and ask if the offer still stands. I know that h=
e was few and far between as a store owner but that is why he was so succ=
essful. I know that in your case you were taken advantage of, but I thoug=
ht someone should tell another side of selling comics to dealers. By the =
way (for anyone who may be looking to sell), I learned that to maximize t=
he amount of money you will get for your collection, break it into chunks=
, by this I mean, sell it a little at a time. When a store owner starts t=
hinking about haw much they have to give at one time, they often want to =
give less (the drunk probably made more by doing this than anyone else). =
Never make the first offer. Don't be afraid to leave the first store with=
out selling, shop around. Look at their inventory, if they have 10 copies=
 of your best book they will not give you much for it. And remember that =
a guide is just that, a guide. It is not the final authority, the consume=
r is. A collectible is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. =
And apparently an Image Groo #1 that is slabbed is not worth $75-, but th=
e next time it goes for auction it might be. =20

I don't think ANYONE read this, but if you did thanks for sticking with m=
e.

Regards,   =20
SeanGet more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.=
msn.com

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C204F8.E5B43BF0

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV>I have been in=
[...]
oney you will get for your collection, break it into chunks, by this&nbsp=
;I mean, sell it a little at a time. When a store owner starts thinking a=
bout haw much they have to give at one time, they often want to give less=
 (the drunk probably made more by doing this than anyone else). Never mak=
e the first offer. Don't be afraid to leave the first&nbsp;store without =
selling, shop around. Look at their inventory, if they&nbsp;have 10 copie=
s of your best book they will not give you much for it. And remember that=
 a guide is just that, a guide. It is not the final authority, the consum=
er is. A collectible is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.=
 And apparently an Image Groo #1 that&nbsp;is slabbed is not worth $75-, =
but the next time it goes for auction it might be. </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DI=
V> <DIV>I don't think ANYONE read this, but if you did thanks for stickin=
g with me.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Regards, &nbsp;&nbsp;<BR>Sean<BR>=
</DIV></BODY></HTML><br clear=3Dall><hr>Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN =
Explorer download : <a href=3D'http://explorer.msn.com'>http://explorer.m=

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C204F8.E5B43BF0--