[Groop]re: OT Amina Lawal]

Azamin azamin7@pd.jaring.my
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 12:51:40 +0800

--------------488572CF244A05E8B927D21B

> -------------->Azamin, thank you for your information.  I believe such
> presentation of different cultures is a positive thing, through which
> those differing cultures can come closer together in spirit.  That
> said, I do have a few comments.  I don't think the differentiation you
> made above is substantive.  What I mean by that is ALL religions are
> "ways of life."  Christianity, for example, is not just about praying
> to God, or even accepting Jesus as Christ.  Rather, IMO, the focus of
> Christianity is to do the Christian thing.  That is, live your life as
> a Christian is tought to live his life.  In other words, it is a way
> of life.  The same analysis with any other religion, I am aware of,
> will come to the same result.
>
>       The difference is that in must countries where Muslims are a
> majority, the religion goes beyond that single aspect and goes on into
> the governance of the country.  That is Muslim countries adopt
> religious law as secular law.  In other words, in those countries
> Muslim law is not simply a way of life, but a code which is enforced
> by the government.

I'm sorry if I had offended you. Yes, i agreed with you that the
difference was maybe, how we  inteprate the phrase "the way of life"..
for us Muslim, "the way of life" concept is to include all activities
including in governing the country and all our activities is governed by
Islamic belief..

> The second issue, and what I believe to be a bigger problem is a
> problem within Nigeria itself.  The Nigerian constitution is not a
> Muslim constitution.  It is secular.  Nigeria is not a Muslim country
> despite the numbers of Muslim faithful within her borders.  The
> problem comes in that numerous provinces within Nigeria have taken to
> imposing the Shaiara in direct conflict with the Nigerian
> constitution.  Muslim, and non-muslim alike are beholden to Muslim
> law.  These two facts are what causes a problem here.  Again, it is
> not for the US to come in and say, the Nigerian constitution must be
> honored on its own volition.  However, should the Nigerian government
> ask for assitance in causing these "rebel" provinces back with its
> authorized sovereignty, then we are talking a different story.

After General Sani Abaca's death (he was the Nageria military junta
president.  Remember those Nigerian e-mail scam about seeking help to
get some money out of nageria..?), Nageria federal government might give
more autonomy to its state governments.. and I believe this is where
some states with Muslim majority had proposed syaria (islamic) law to be
implemented...  here in Malaysia, we too had some discussion about the
implementation.. and how it will affact non muslim if the law is being
implemented.