[Groop]GROO NEWS from me

Steve Hubbell usagigoya@hotmail.com
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 23:16:24 +0000

   I have only attended two comic conventions in my life, both back in 1994.
The first one was the Chicago Comicon which Sergio attended... (The second
was the Motor City Con which Stan Sakai attended). Since Sergio was the only
guest there that I had any interest in seeing, meeting or getting an
autograph from, I made numerous trips through the line to talk to him, take
photographs, and get sketches and what few items I found for my collection
at the convention autographed. (I bought a copy of Mad's Sergio Aragones On
Parade, and found the Mad Super Special with Sergio's Mad Map of the United
States, and a few other items - I did not bring anything to the convention
to be autographed). Since it was my first convention and I had my wife and
her nephew with me, I had less money than I would have liked when I found
out that Sergio would do pieces on commission. I have never sold any of the
sketches or autographed items I acquired from Sergio, but I have bought
autographed items from other people, most prior to meeting him.
   It is easy to complain about people selling stuff on E-bay, but I imagine
that it is the only place a lot of fans can get their hands on autographed
items and what-not. I guess comic shops shouldn't sell autographed items
either, since they are out to make money also. If the fan can't afford the
hundreds of dollars to cover the expense of a convention, they don't deserve
an autograph or sketch or any other rare item for their collection... Where
do you draw the line? There have been people getting and selling autographed
comics and such longer than E-bay has been around, I'm just sorry to see it
change things negatively for the fans...