[Groop]Groop Membership Cards

E C mightyhero@mail.com
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 08:26:09 +0100

Hi guys/grrls!

Gary wrote:
>Eric has made some nice cards for us San Diego
>attendees, so he might have some insights on
>this.  I think we are going to have to decide
>if we want them to be indestructable or do we
>want them to be something the Groo Crew can sign?

I think I know how to make better tags now.

A simple laminator machine works fine.  I have
an Ibico GL-4 Small Laminator.

Don't use laminating sheets, since you will have
to cut them to size.  Nothing ever cuts perfect-
ly straight, not even paper cutters.  Plus, this
takes a lot of time.

Laminating pouches which are sized to fit busi-
ness cards are great.  Just insert the picture
into the pouch, then insert the pouch into the
laminator.  Laminating pouches cost approximate-
ly $10 for 25 pouches.

Print the picture on thick paper, like card-
stock.  If the picture is printed on thin
paper (like the ones from San Diego), then the
tag isn't very sturdy.  Printing on thick
paper is the main problem.  Most laser printers
can't handle it.  Some inkjet printers can han-
dle it, but the printing isn't as clean as laser
printers.  Plus, in either case, the paper would
have to be cut to size.

One solution is to print the picture on busi-
ness cards.  Business cards are the right
paper thickness and size.  There are some on-
line companies that print custom business
cards.  Just upload the picture to their web
site.  The least expensive that I've seen costs
around $45 for 250 business cards.

Don't sign a laminated tag.  Even with per-
manent markers (such as Sharpies), the
writing will eventually start fading.  I have
to write my name on my textbooks (which have
glossy covers) at work with a Sharpie to pre-
vent them from being stolen.  The writing
eventually fades.

Signing the tags before laminating them will
work.

Printing tags with different numbers on them
will take a lot of time.  It isn't possible
at all if custom business cards are printed.
An adjustable stamper could be used to stamp
numbers.

Eric

--
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup