[Groop]Gary's Grooism

Grossmann, Gary GaryG at DOR.WA.GOV
Fri Mar 28 08:50:55 PST 2003

Hi Folks!

Larry isn't the only one prone to Grooisms. Last night I went to airport to
pick up my son and his friend.  The plan was for me to just swing by outside
the terminal and quick pick them up.  With security tightened, you have to
drive this very round about way and pass through a check point to get to the
front of the terimal.  It was all rather confusing (for the easily confused)
but I followed the signs to what I thought was the right place to meet them.

They weren't there.  You can't stop and wait, so I went all the way around
again, through the check point and back in front of the terminal, which took
about 8-9 minutes.

They weren't there.  So I did the loop again.  And again.  And again.
Finally, I got out of the loop, went to a gas station, and called home to
see if my son had called.  He had, saying he had been waiting for over half
an hour and was wondering what had happened to me!

I was vaguely aware that there was a lower level of road in front of the
terminal, but I thought it was restricted to buses and hotel vans and had no
idea how to get to it anyway.  So I got back in the loop, followed the signs
to parking, parked, and went and found my son.

Of course it turns out they were on the lower level, I had been driving
right over where they were, it is NOT restricted to busses and vans, and I
could have gone down there easily if I had followed the right signs.

All in all a very frustrating little episode.  But I couldn't help think how
perfectly Groo-ish it was to be driving around in circles while passing
right over the people I was looking for.  I even imagined how Sergio would
draw the scene.  I also imagined the guard at the check point seeing me
drive through half a dozen times, momentarily wondering what was going on,
then seeing my GROO license plates and thinking "Ah, a Groo fan.  That
explains it."

Take care all -Gary G.