Fw: [Groop] The library saga update

Pengyfelix at aol.com Pengyfelix at aol.com
Sat Oct 25 05:03:03 PDT 2003

<snip>That doesn't get them on the shelves-- at least not around here.
Donated books usually go to the book SALES the libraries have to raise money to buy
books some committee or other decided they should have.<snip>

We've donated several tons of books to our local public library system, and I
have my suspicions that it works largely the same way around here.  I've
never seen any of our donations on the "hardbacks, $1, paperbacks 10 cents" cart,
but I also have not seen them on the shelf.  Which is odd considering our
library system is incredibly cash-strapped at the moment and really isn't adding
to their collection--also, they are closed on Sunday and have put forth a
ballot initiative for next month so they don't have to cut back further.  They
can't possibly buy new books for the price they are selling the donated ones for,
so it would make sense, to me, to add donated books to the collection.  So
what if they aren't new or the ones the committee wants?  They're books.

Janet
http://janetharriett.blogspot.com
http://hometown.aol.com/pengyfelix/myhomepage/index.html