[Groop] Re: Groop Digest, Vol 17, Issue 28

Larry Steller mrgrooism at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 28 19:37:48 PDT 2004

--- Rick Loomis <rick at flyingbuffalo.com> wrote:

> As for "fans" taking a freebie and then selling it on ebay: not
> everyone
> who can't come to the show is part of a group like this with helpful
> fellows like Gary.  If Gary hadn't offered, I'd be happy to pay
> someone who
> picked up two copies of that card deck for his "trouble". They are
> providing a service. That's what capitalism is all about! (grin). Try
> not
> to judge them too harshly. Perhaps they got home and realized they
> spent
> too much on the con and desperately need to get some money to pay the
> mortgage next week!
> Rick

Well, I don't think many of us have a problem with that sort of
scenario. I have a problem with the folks who go around hording as much
as they can get their hands on of freebies, then sending others to
gather more, with the express intent of profiteering.

These are extremes with plenty of shades of gray in between, I agree we
shouldn't judge to harshly, but we also shouldn't be too forgiving of
those who give fans and collectors a bad rep by selfish behavior.

Just ask Sergio, he'll tell you how frustrating it is too see willing
generosity takne advantage of.

=====
-Larry "Mr. Grooism" Steller, Mendicant Second Class

THE BLOG IS BACK!!! http://mrgrooism.diaryland.com
July 28 entry: Grooism #19: A Goodfellas Grooism
July 26 entry: Back? (Featuring Grooism #18)

NEWS FROM ME: http://www.newsfromme.com/
POVONLINE: http://www.povonline.com/ ;
FORGOTTEN NEW YORK: http://www.forgotten-ny.com/
ODDBALL COMICS: http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/oddball/