[Groop] new member, San Diego Comicon

Shawn sloptamom at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 18 22:36:36 PDT 2005

Greetings Mike, Gary and everyone here in the Groop from San Luis Obispo, California!

Like you Mike, I too am new at finding this intriguing “Groop” site – and, like you; I am also not too new at being curiously drawn to the barbarian who has come to live quite nicely in my heart.  I picked up my first issue of Groo back in 1985.  Amazingly, even to myself, I still have all of the issues of Groo I have collected for over 20 years.  Literally, I cannot think of anything else I have kept for that long.  There may be something still in my refrigerator, but even then, I don’t think its 20 years old, maybe 19, tops!

When I read that first comic, I remember thinking that there was definitely something unique about the artwork, the writing, the wit, and of course, Groo’s good looks and charm didn’t hurt.  It did not take long before I decided that this would become my irrational preoccupation, and that this “hobby” was certainly worthy of all my spare quarters (only three were needed at the time to buy such a fixation).  Those were certainly the days

Anyway, I have continued with my infatuation with Groo and I plan to make my way down south to attend my very first Comic Book Convention in San Diego coming up here in July.  I hope I get to meet some other real live Groo fans while I am there – I really thought I was alone, or rare, with this high reverence for Groo and his creators.  I will be easy to spot – I will be the one with my eyes staring in amazement at everything and everyone trying to take it all in at once – undoubtedly standing around with my mouth wide open!  Hmmm, now
  I am hoping there won’t be any low buzzing flies or wandering spit-wads looking for free rides anywhere nearby.  In any case, if you see me, please feel free to give me useless advice, or direct me north when I should be going south, or just feel completely at ease laughing and pointing at the newbie – I can take it – Just remember; I won’t be a newbie forever! <wink>

Have fun!

Shawna

P.S. If you want a laugh – and I did laugh, (with total embarrassment) when I looked at this issue a few months ago after not seeing it for years. Mark was kind enough, and I was lucky enough to actually have a letter printed in Groo #13 (Marvel).  I am such a dork – what can I say

Michael Fowler <remo73 at msn.com> wrote:
Hello Goopies!

I have been a Groo fan for twenty years now (or maybe more-maybe five) and
am embarrassed I never knew about this group. Now I can proudly say I'm
embarrassed to be a member! I finally tracked down the first four issues
from Dark Horse and saw Mark's ringing endorsement in the first issue's
Groo-Grams. I also just found Mark's site and was very impressed. There
seems to be so much interesting stuff I will have to devote some serious
time to catching up.

I had the pleasure of finally meeting Sergio at the San Diego Comicon last
year, and also got to meet Stan. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see Mark
and wasn't there on the day of their presentation. They did talk about the
Groo/Conan and Groo/Tarzan projects. Does anyone know what happened to
those? I am a fan of both of those characters and thought especially the
Groo/Tarzan could be great. I really loved the Tarzan adaptation Mark did
for Marvel in '84.

Does anyone know if Mark and Sergio plan to attend this year? I want to get
my tickets but don't know which day would be best.

I don't mean to hammer everyone with questions you've probably already
covered on my first post, I'm just glad to connect with other Groo fans.

Thanks,

Mike