[Groop] This is the end.

Eric Chun ericchun at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 25 00:07:33 PDT 2006

Here's the last 25 years in comics condensed into 1 paragraph:

Around the early 80s, Marvel got the idea to use an exclusive
distributor, so no other distributor could handle -any- Marvel
comic book, where Marvel just happened to be the #1 comic
book producer at the time, leading to most of the other dis-
tributers being forced out of business and comic book stores
not getting their deliveries on time.  Comic book stores were
going out of business, and Diamond was the only distributor
to survive, even Marvel's exclusive distributor went under.
Return policies were revised -- unsold material could no longer
be returned, general stores stopped selling comics because
of this, and comic book stores which ordered too much non-
selling or slow selling items also closed shop.  Any comic store
surviving today relies on its core customers to stay in business,
who order 3 months in advance through the (Diamond) Pre-
views catalog, and cannot depend solely on casual customers
who just happen to walk through the door.  As a reward for
ordering in advance, and thereby limiting the risk for the store
of ordering too many items that don't sell and ensuring that
they get enough cash by sales to order the next months items
and stay in business, most stores offer something like 10%
discount for advance orders.  Most stores probably don't have
enough cash reserves to stay in biz for more than a few months,
so ordering the correct items is crucial, make or break, which is
why only lifelong or long time comic fans are comic shop owners.
Joe Blow off of the street probably couldn't do it.  Even if you
don't get Previews magazine, all of the major upcoming Sergio/
Mark items are announced in advance on this mailing list, as was
Sergio's Solo issue, but sometimes you have to read until the
end of the paragraph to get the scoop ...  :-)