[Groop] Non-Padded Post

Charles Klein cklein at mn.rr.com
Sun Mar 12 06:43:58 PST 2006

What made me love Groo?

I believe I picked it up either at issue 1 or 2 of the original Epic run.  I
always enjoy good art and good storylines, but there is a balance to be met
as well (if the storyline is great but the art really is bad, I won't pick
it up [and vice versa]).  In general I tend to purchase the more
"alternative" comics as they usually seem more interesting (although I still
buy Cable & Deadpool and a few others that look interesting to me).  My
interest in the alternative comics makes it difficult for me to go down
"artist alley" at the conventions as I want to look at every one of them and
then feel obligated to purchase one to support them.  I have gotten better
over the years, though (Radioactive Panda was the last one I bought, and
that was a collection of an online series).

Ever written to Groo Grams?

Yes, I wrote 3 altogether but only one got published (the most sane of them
all).  The first two were silly, which I thought might get printed due to
some of the letters getting printed by people writing letters with their
feet (I was wrong).  The letter I got printed was a sincere letter about
issue 100.  I started another letter for one of the mini-series, but I never
got around to finishing it before the series was already done.  Perhaps I'll
try for the next mini-series.

Digest people

You can buy crackers that the English term digestives, can't you?  I suppose
our English Groopies could better inform me on that (I only vaguely
remember).

Off-Topic

My new house that I'm building will hopefully be done by the end of May and
my second child should be due in October.  I'll wait until they're older to
read my Groos to them (after they're past the paper ripping stage).

Conventions

I will be amongst the non-attendees of this year's San Diego and Motor City
Comic cons this year.  Although I try to make it to Michigan as we have an
office near there and I can usually swing a visit around that time so I can
fly back on Sunday (and thus save the company money on the flight), we're
going for a maintenance trip at the beginning of April instead.  Most
likely, however, I will be able to go to my local convention again - the
Micro-Con at the Minnesota Fairgrounds.  I haven't seen Sergio there yet
(and may not ever), but I did see Don Rosa there a few years ago (of Scrooge
McDuck fame).  If any local people go there, I may see you there (I usually
try to wear my Did I Err? shirt).
<http://www.mncba.com/>

... and that finishes my 4th post for the year.  I hope you enjoyed it.

Charles