[Groop] Groo depreciating?

Groopunk at aol.com Groopunk at aol.com
Wed May 31 17:52:29 PDT 2006

In a message dated 5/31/2006 8:31:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
onewhowatches at msn.com writes:

So was I  just being ripped off back before everyone used the internet for
purchases?  Or is Groo depreciating at an alarming  rate?

There was quite a comic book bubble in the early 90s just as there was a
huge stock market bubble in the late 90s.

I also think that the internet has made certain things a lot easier to
acquire.  At one point someone spent a long time looking for a certain item  and
when they found it, they were a lot more willing to pay a higher price  - it was
"worth it" since they'd spent so long looking.  Nowadays, it's  wicked easy
to type in eBay's internet address and find several of that very  item.  Why
spend the higher price when you can wait a couple weeks for  someone to post the
same item with a cheaper price?

That's my theory.  I've spent the last few days going through my many  comic
boxes and seeing what certain titles are going for on eBay compared to  when I
bought them.  It's sad sad sad. It's the oddball comics (Flaming  Carrot,
sometimes early Groo, Beautiful Stories for Ugly Children) that  seem to have
kept some weight to their prices - in fact, the Beautiful Stories  can sometimes
fetch more today then when they were released.

Speaking of old comics, does anyone out there have any old issues of the
magazine "Comic Relief?"  It was a monthly compilation of comic strips and
panels.  For a period of time it ran a David Lynch comic strip  called "The
Angriest Dog in the World" and I'd LOVE to acquire more that  strip.

I just bought a book called "Zounds!" which is a "browser's dictionary of
interjections" written by Mark Dunn and with cartoon commentary by SERGIO
ARAGONES.  I've yet to check all his illustrations to find out if a certain
ship-sinking mendicant makes a cameo.

-seth