[Groop] The Groo Alphabet

No Way no_way8888 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 14 02:13:57 PDT 2007

I'm at work, so I don't have my collection handy, but Groo's old ruler(s), Kings Kohon and Kassabist, seems to be a fairly natural fit for "K"...  One of Granny Groo's Gypsies, (the only one to be named, to my knowledge), Fershid, would work nicely for "F"... Nivram the Wolfman would be perfect for "N" (and you'd get to take another poke at Marv Wolfman :P), Lord Tuboca/Lady Suboca could make for an extremely funny poem for "L" ("they" made a great issue, after all)...  Hrm.  Phooey- what was the name of the tavern maid in "The Death of Groo"?  I'll have to look that up when I get home.

  Oh- and maybe (King) Battu would be another option for "B", given that he's a major portion of why Groo is the way he is (of course, the fact that probably my single favourite Groo page of all time is King Battu futilely attempting to read Groo's lack of mind, then screaming "There's nothing to read!" and running away has nothing to do with this... :-p)

  Also, it's a real pity that there's no easy way to fit Granny Groo or Captain Ahax... even mangling the names slightly, I can't come up with anything ("Gypsy Granny Groo" doesn't help much... maybe "Leader of the Gypsies, Granny Groo"?  "Sea Captain Ahax" doesn't work... "Crazy Captain Ahax" doesn't help... "Ship Master Ahax", nope... *sigh*)... ditto Mulch (who really SHOULD have a place, considering he's named after probably the longest running-gag in Groo- will he at least have a cameo in the Sage's poem?), Grativo, the Witch of Kaan... hrm.

  Considering how many characters Groo has had running around, maybe it would be easier to fill the alphabet twice?

Mark Evanier <me at evanier.com> wrote:
  First off, thanks to all who helped with my need for a list of past
Groo page counts. I used pieces of almost all the lists you sent or
referred me to.

Now, Sergio and I have a project you can help us with...

For the upcoming GROO 25th ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL (which may not be
called that), Sergio wants to do a section called THE GROO ALPHABET.
It will be 26 poems and drawings, one for each letter of the alphabet
referring to a character or other name from past issues of Groo.

We were making up the list today. Obviously, "A" will be for Arcadio,
"G" will be for Groo, "R" will be for Rufferto and so on. I thought
you folks might enjoy helping us fill out the list.

Below is the list Sergio and I started today. We aren't married to
any of these choices and if you have a better suggestion for any
letter, feel free to make it.

How many of the blanks can you fill in?

Arcadio
Bunta