[Groop] Where were you? (Eulogio Navarro)

Chris Schechner cschechner at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 8 10:21:34 PDT 2009

That may not have been too spectacular, Eulogio, but I thought it was pretty
funny that you let two busses pass while you read. It must have had quite an
impact.

I first heard of Groo when I got a small handbill with Groo about to attack
what he thought was a snake (which we all know was a dragon¹s tail.) I¹d
always loved Sergio¹s work and was quite excited about the coming comic
book, but not being a comic book kind of person, I didn¹t get a hold of one
until much, much later. When I did, I subscribed right away. I¹m just not
obsessed like some people we know (ahem).

Chris

on 7/8/09 3:21 AM, Eulogio Navarro at eulogio.navarro at gmail.com wrote:

> I guess it was around April or May 1991, not very sure really, but I remember
> the moment. I was waiting for the bus that would take me to Madrid Complutense
> University (I was studying Physics then), and in the near news stand I saw a
> comic book of Groo (Spanish edition, second volume -if you think the volume
> count in USA is funny, you would really like to see how Groo was numbered in
> Spain-.
>
> I had seen some ads of Groo in Conan comics, but it was announced like a
> parody of Conan. By then I collected The Savage Sword of Conan, and I was
> starting to be fed up with that, so I did not think I would like a parody of
> something clearly going down the path of boredom.
>
> BUT, then I realized Groo was made by Sergio Aragonés, and I had already seen
> his pictures in some MAD magazines, and also in his Buzz & Bell stories that
> were then published in El País (the main Spanish newspaper), so I took the
> issue, it was #3 of Spain Vol 2, so something like #18 of Epic.
>
> I opened it and saw the first picture with the caption: El camino ante Groo
> está blanco, como su mente (The path in front of Groo is whiteŠ like his
> brains) or something like that, and thought ³Oh, I am going to like thisŠ a
> lot) I read it in minutes (leaving at least two buses to go) and got
> completely hooked from then.
>
> Not very spectacular, but this is my story.
>
> Thanks to all of you.

Check out my blog, Insight Through Hindsight,
my journal in cartoon form, at:
http://insightthroughhindsight.typepad.com/