[Groop] Where were you?

Philippe Bruhat (BooK) philippe.bruhat at free.fr
Sat Jul 11 03:54:54 PDT 2009

Here's my story...

I first read about Groo in a French fanzine (SCARCE, which still exists
today). It was in 1988. They explained about the hidden messages, the
letter page, the single joke, everything. I remember something about
Groo being to Conan what Gaston Lagaffe is to James Bond.

Later, during the summer of 1989, I was in the UK for a two-weeks student
trip, were I was hosted in a family that would give me English lessons.
I was an avid US comics reader, but I can't remember if I found a
specialized shop in that city. However, I found a copy of Groo in the
newsstand (*). I had read so many good things about it, I had to buy it.
And we worked on it as part of the lessons.

The funniest part is that my hosts were vegetarians and into ecology,
and that Groo issue, my first issue ever of Groo was number 55, "The
Island of Felicidad". I found that quite fitting, especially after
having read a few more issues.

Back in France, I started collecting back issues, and I thing I more or
less subscribed through a French shop.

Oh my, I just realized I've been reading Groo for 20 years...

(*) There must have been a issue of i nthat newsstand Hulk, too, because
    I remember my host telling me that English kids nowadays don't know
    how to spell "gray"... That was the time of the grey Hulk, you know.

--
 Philippe Bruhat (BooK)

 Destroy the little and you destroy the large.