[Groop] Jim Shooter - EPIC Interference

dougiemccoy at cox.net dougiemccoy at cox.net
Thu Jul 14 09:32:27 PDT 2011

this is what Jim type on his page
"As I recall, the first page of the first EPIC Comics issue of Groo featured a cartoon of Sergio at his drawing board, speaking directly to the readers.  I don’t have a copy, so I’m doing this from memory, but Sergio was explaining that he had taken Groo elsewhere at first because Marvel wouldn’t let him keep the rights to his creation, but now that Marvel had finally seen the light, he was happy to work with EPIC."

this is what really one the page
""I WANTED TO TELL THE TALES OF GROO FOR YEARS-- BUT ALL THE COMIC COMPANIES INSISTED THAT THEY HAD TO OWN HIM! I, OF COURSE, SAID NO! GROO FINALLY APPEARED IN THE FIRST ISSUE OF DESTROYER DUCK FROM ECLIPSE COMICS...THEN WE DID EIGHT ISSUES OF GROO FOR PACIFIC COMICS. GROO'S FAME JUST GREW AND GREW...AND NOW, HERE WE ARE, MONTHLY-- ON NEWSSTANDS EVERYWHERE!"

So you can see Jim didn't get right, now was this because he  ego-butthead, or he just got it wrong i don't know...but i have to with Gary here and can't see Sergio begging to have a small part of GROO...
and did Mark on one of the Mark and Sergio panel at comic con talk about how Sergio saw a line in the EPIC contract where Marvel had the rigts to GROO and pointed this out Marks and Sergio lawyer... i might be wrong but pretty sure