[Groop]advertisements in MAD

azamin azamin7@medical-online.net
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 09:51:48 +0800

>      In addition, it is a well documented fact (see MAD World of Williams
>      Gaines by Frank Jacobs, for example) that movie companies often want
>      MAD to lampoon their movie and send advance information and
>      promotional stills to the magazine to ensure that it happens.  Another
>      factor to consider, Warner Brothers is one of the owners of MAD.  Has
>      it stopped MAD from making fun of WB movies...not in the least.  MAD
>      even did a full color parody of the WB Studio Stores.  Does it bother
>      WB?  Not that I'm aware of.  In fact, WB allowed MAD access to the
>      first Batman movie so that the satire of that movie actually hit the
>      stands BEFORE the movie was released.  If a movie company is afraid of
>      MAD making fun of their movie than I doubt they would advertise in
>      MAD!

Yes, I agree(R)(TM).... movie lampooning in MAD before it's released is a marketing
strategy, MAD reader will read about the movie and they and want to  watch it.....  That's
why these movies companies often want MAD to lampoon their movie... Maybe the reason why
MAD circulation  is down because kids nowdays are affected to PC and video games... or
maybe the reader switch to the new sililar magazine.   That happen in Malaysia where some
comic magazine which copied MAD concept once was very popular then suddently dies and in
the same time another sililar mag with different title emerge and got popularity... and the
circle goes from time to time.  Even 1 publisher had already started several titles one
after another as his previous title lost its popularity in the last 25 years.  I don't know
why this happened, maybe the readers want something different concept and easily get bored
by the same concept for years....  I don't know if this same phenomemon also happen in the
US and MAD is one of its victims.