[Groop]sergio on the web

Josh 'Evening O' Jones josh@newdream.net
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 09:49:55 -0800 (PST)

Right, I remember getting the same feeling from a similar talk with him at
sdcc a few years ago.

But the whole reason napster is popular is because
1. people can't get the music ligitimately in an online format as easily
as using napster.
2. people can't even get the music for a fair price in a non-online
format.
People have also argued that napster has actually promoted the sale of
cds, just because people it lowers the barrier to hearing what's out
there. The RIAA doesn't like to gamble on that though..

This system would be different though.. Sergio _would_ get paid! There
wouldn't be any free trading promoted or anything like that. Somebody
COULD make a napster-like service just for trading comics, but there's
nothing stopping people from doing that now, and nobody's done it
yet. Also, if the comics are available online already, and the price is
reasonable, people really WOULD pay for the legitimate rights to them. You
oculd even allow people to "lend out" issues of their collection to
friends electronically. Then people could even share the comics they'd
bought the rights to without having to resort to piracy. The lending would
just work by removing one accounts ability to see the issue and
giving it to another account. When the friend was done, he would
"return" it back to the owner's account. That way people could share their
accounts with their friends and spread the good word without sharing the
password to their account or using a napster-like service.

I do understand sergio's pen and paper vs electronic thing. But we're not
saying stop using pen and paper, or that there's no role for it! I just
think that there's room for this service along with what currently
exists. And you could of course not make comics available in the
electronic archive until they were like two years old and really weren't
producing any more money for the artist/writer/publisher any more anyway.
Comics are a little different from music in that a song like the beatles
yesterday can continue to make money for them for decades and decades,
whereas even action comics #1 no longer makes any money for the creators a
year or two after it's been put out (despite them still owning the
copyright). Except for like reprintings and collections and stuff.

Anyway, people are trying to figure out how to make money off web-comics/
animation and I really think this is it (or at least the first way). How
much could marvel/dc make from opening something like this and allowing
the access to every superman issue? Groo is just the beginning!

josh!