[Groop]OT Question for Mark

Mark Evanier mail@evanier.com
Fri, 24 May 2002 23:49:03 -0700

On Fri, 24 May 2002 23:38:20 -0700, "Gary Grossmann"
<grossfam@olywa.net> wrote:

>OK, it looks like Spiderman is going to gross at least 500 million.  Let's
>just say for simplicity sake that the whole budget for making the movie and
>promotion and everything is $200 million.  Mark, do you have any idea or at
>least an educated guess on what percentage of the $300 million in profit the
>studio will probably get and how much Marvel will probably get?

ME: Surprisingly little, I'm told.  Something like 5%.

>And does the studio get any part of the merchandise profits?

ME: Yes.  And if the merchandise is based on the movie imagery -- say,
a photo from the movie is involved -- they get most of it.

>And do Mr. Lee & Mr.
>Ditko get anything besides a pat on the back?

ME: Stan gets some sort of bonus and a lot of publicity to help his
other enterprises.  Ditko gets nothing, as far as I know.

>btw, I understand your frustration that the passing of someone like Dave
>Berg, who made literally millions of people laugh for decades, barely makes
>a ripple in the press.  But when you say that it "shouldn't be left to the
>likes of" you to bring his passing and the magnitude of his work to the
>world's attention, I think you underestimate your position as one of the
>comic art world's primary keepers of the flame.

ME: Yes, but I'm sick of people saying, "We don't have to do it
because Evanier will."  It's not a one person job and what if I'm
busy?  Or sick?  Or just get sick of doing it?
www.POVonline.com - a website about comic books, cartoons, TV,
movies, Groo the Wanderer, Broadway, Las Vegas, Hollywood,
Stan Freberg, Laurel & Hardy, Jack Kirby and possums in my backyard.